wrapping bub

Go down

wrapping bub

Post by kim on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:49 am

Hi girls, im after a bit of advice. Larsen hates absolutely hates being wrapped for his sleep, i wrap him with his arms down and very tight. He fights it as soon as i start and then screams blue murder , he has been semi waking inn the middle of the night struggling to get his hands out. Any advice ? i want to continue wrapping as when he does get his hands out he flings his arms around, did you guys wrap your bubs , for how long ? and how did you wrap with arms down or up? any advice would be great as im losing sleep hearing him at night and some times struggling to get him down. Another quick question, is it too soon to expect him to be self settling he is almost 4 weeks now, i have forgotten how long it should take, Addsion was such a terrible sleeper we ended up at sleep school , just want to now what is "normal"
kim
kim
Getting There

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wrapping bub

Post by Arby on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:07 pm

Hiya Kim,,,,, Well I might be the last person that should give advice!! Josh who is 3 in April still does not sleep through the night all the time. He has eczma and so if he was wrapped he would get too hot and would wake up. Even now he gets hot and itchy and ends up waking if he is covered. In Winter we dress him very warm coz He hates rugs on. On a personal note I think 4 weeks is still very young. I would not expect him to self settle yet. But then again my kids never slept through the night until they were pretty old. They all had medical issues and as soon as they were in a routine they would end up sick and /or in hospital and it would all go out the window. I hope you get it sorted where you and he are both happy. I know Josh was about 15 months before it got to the stage where I felt he needed sleep school. We did it but he went into hospital not long after and it went back to being yuk again.
I also think that him flinging his arms around is a natural response and I believe it will settle down after around six weeks.

Kim nothing is "normal" you just have to do what is right for you and your family. Never worry about what "normal" is and never worry about what others do or say. You can listen to all the advice in the world but the only people who are dealing with it are you and your family. Take what you want from what people say and discard the rest!
Good luck with it all and sometimes the best thing is to follow what your heart and gut are telling you!
Arby
You Know your stuff

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2008-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzyc on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:09 pm

hi kim.. my thoughts are with you as you go through your days with a new bub... i am with arby... you can get all the advice in the world, so just weigh up what you hear and go with your instinct..everybody has their methods and you just need to find what works for you..
and there is no 'normal' with children, they are all different!!
i think 4 weeks is too young to self settle.. i breast fed mine through the night when they woke until they sorted themselves out, yes it was hard, my hubby and i walked the floor with a screaming baby for at least
2 months at night.. i even went for a drive in the car one night in an effort to get my baby to sleep.. he went to sleep, but woke up when i got home and began to scream again.. luckily my husband got up and took over or i was gunna chuck the kid out the window!!!
i had all cool weather babies too, so i wrapped them up until about 3 months or when the weather was warm.. their arms were in, and in my day they lay on their side until they started rolling and then they slept on their tummys, something not recommended nowadays.. but i am talking 23 to 17 years ago!!and they were all thumb suckers so they would put their little
thumbs in from about three months and go back to sleep themselves..
i might be wrong but flinging his arms around may be him just getting his balance and not feeling secure????????????? and hopefully as he gets strength he will get better co-ordinated..
i do remember the sleep deprived days with having a new born and trying to keep going with other kids too.. so even though it is tough now, i am gunna tell you it will get better, and you will get some sleep again!!
just hang in there, be kind to yourself.. feed larsen up during the day and hopefully he will get 'tanked' up to sleep through the night soon...
my thoughts are with you.. take care..x lizzy
lizzyc
You Know your stuff

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2008-07-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle W on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:36 am

We didn't wrap Caden after coming home from the hospital.
He disliked it so much, and to be honest, I was probably not doing it as well as the midwives anyway ! We've been using sleeping bags.
Caden is now 5 months old and self settles very well. I think he was probably 2 and a half months - 3 months old when he started doing this. He was a terrible day sleeper for the first 2-3 months too, but all is well now.
He doesn't sleep through the night with consistency yet, but we'll get there ! LOL. I am not having to walk the streets or anything like that on the nights he does wake. Usually a quick feed and he's back in bed asleep !

I am using the feed, play, sleep routine and it is really working.

And I agree totally with Arby and Lizzy... you really have to do what works for you and your family !

Good luck !

Cheers,
Michelle W
Just Learning

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thanks

Post by kim on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks ladies, your thoughts and advice helps, even though ive done this beore is good to get a bit of reassurance every now and then
kim
kim
Getting There

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NicoleP on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Deacon wasn't wrapped from the time we got home from hospital either, he's coming up to 3 months and doesn't self settles. The other two did around 2 months but they are both thumb suckers, where as Dea likes to be feed to sleep, lol, is a time consuming job.
NicoleP
Just Learning

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-11-30

View user profile http://nmpomeroy.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down